America’s diary

Photo by anyvanille / CC BY-SA 2.0
Photo by anyvanille / CC BY-SA 2.0

It was safe to assume that everyone has a secret diary. So if everyone has one, including conniving and suspicious characters like Russia or North Korea, America needed one. That was his rationale for buying the little leather-bound journal. He needed to bridge the diary gap.

This particular journal had prompts for those who couldn’t think of anything to ramble about. “What do I like?” It asked for him.

-Freedom

The obvious first answer.

-Traditions, but also trying new things.

Because just writing down ‘traditions’ would have made him sound old (like England).

-Texas

-Grilling

-Eagles

-Explosions

But that was quickly changed to ‘fireworks’ (to be on the safe side).

-Shotguns

-Cherry Coke

-Roller coasters

-Winning

Now he was beginning to dig into his inner psyche.

-How attractive I am

-Being the best

-Having money

-Doing things that would have made George Washington proud

Things then got a little real.

-Hegemony

-Pissing Russia off

-Laughing at the delusion of China becoming a superpower

-Saying something really stupid just to fluster Canada

-Beating Japan at a video game

-Complaining about N. Korea together with S. Korea

America paused to look over his work. Pleased with the robust list, he jotted down one last item.

-Toby Keith

Read Behind the Scenes for a fun explanation of this story’s historical and political references.

15 Comments Add yours

1. Kelli says:

loved the list, it made me laugh (and left me a bit embarrassed at the same time!)

1. sarahbruso says:

That’s exactly what I was going for! Now I’m curious to know what was embarrassing (besides all of it) 😉

Liked by 1 person

1. Kelli says:

well a bit embarrassed at the stupidity of Americans lol

Liked by 1 person

2. kelsee727 says:

Lol. That was really enjoyable. A great creative way to use the prompt. Thanks for the laugh and the bit of pride felt from being an America.

1. sarahbruso says:

Thanks! Hearing that it stirred some feelings of patriotism made smile.

3. devilrockz says:

So much work went into that post that I can stare open-jawed (like Canada maybe..?) at the awesomeness of it all.
    Btw your BTS is far cooler than the original post. The peanut butter incident. Priceless.

1. sarahbruso says:

Wow, thank you! When I learned that people actually refrigerate peanut butter I had an existential crisis.

Liked by 1 person

1. devilrockz says:

Well they sell peanut butter in India without the grape jelly.
        Feel like drowning yourself yet…?

2. sarahbruso says:

PB without J? Noooooo

3. devilrockz says:

Exactly. I had to ask an American flying in to get me some jelly. And he said… Just the jelly? No peanut butter?
        So I got me some of both!

Liked by 1 person

4. Tracey Rains says:

Very funny and insightful. I have to confess, though. I don’t know who Toby Keith is… I guess I need to Google him.

Liked by 1 person

1. Tracey Rains says:

Eewww! Ick! I Googled Toby Keith. I hate modern country music. Well, I know why I haven’t heard of him now. I guess America is does love his yee-haw, knee slapping, whiny, nasal–ahem– music.

He certainly has no fondness for jazz anymore– the music he fathered in New Orleans. I certainly hope he’s not a deadbeat dad! Does he ever even visit those cool African rhythms or classy European harmonies anymore? I certainly hope so.

1. sarahbruso says:

Haha! What do you mean ick? Toby Keith is practically a national hero for writing that REALLY patriotic 9/11 song! (Truth be told, that is the one reason I put him in America’s list).
        Oh, I’m sure America listens to jazz and such every now and then to feel nostalgic.

Liked by 1 person

2. Tracey Rains says:

Oh, that’s good! I’m glad he hasn’t deserted jazz altogether. I stand by my ick! 😉

Liked by 1 person

Start a discussion

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s